Judicial History of The Orphans' Division

From January 4, 1875 to January 1, 1969, the following Judges sat on the Orphans' Court of Philadelphia County:

William B. Hanna Dennis W. O'Brien T. Bradford Dwight
William N. Ashman Clement B. Penrose Joseph C. Ferguson
Morris Dallett Joseph F. Lamorelle Edward A. Anderson
Charles Francis Gummey John Marshall Gest George Henderson
Henry C. Thompson, Jr. Lewis H. Van Dusen Allen M. Stearne
Charles Sinkler Charles Klein Curtis Bok
Robert V. Bolger Grover C. Ladner David G. Hunter
John P. Boland Mark E. Lefever Harold D. Saylor
Kendall H. Shoyer Joseph D. Burke  

On January 1, 1969, the Orphans' Court of Philadelphia became a division of the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas. Since the merger, the following Judges have sat in the Orphans' Court Division of the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas:

Charles Klein Robert V. Bolger Mark E. Lefever
Harold D. Saylor Kendall H. Shoyer Joseph D. Burke
Edmund S. Pawelec Paul Silverstein Theodore S. Gutowicz
Joseph C. Bruno Judith Jamison Alex Bonavitacola
Theodore A. McKee Kathryn S. Lewis Frank X. O'Brien
Levan Gordon Petrese B. Tucker Anne E. Lazarus
Joseph D. O'Keefe Lynn B. Hamlin John W. Herron
Matthew D. Carrafiello    

The history of the position of Administrative Judge of the Orphans' Court Division is as follows:

Judge Edmund S. Pawelec January 5, 1976 - July 1, 1992

Judge Kathryn S. Lewis July 1, 1992 - April 1, 1996

Judge Petrese B. Tucker April 1, 1996 - July 14, 2000

Judge Alex Bonavitacola* July 14, 2000 - December 22, 2000

Judge Joseph D. O'Keefe December 22, 2000 - Present

*Judge Bonavitacola, as President Judge of the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas, assumed a "Supervisory" role over the Orphans' Court until Judge O'Keefe was named as successor to Judge Tucker.