Private Criminal Cases

What you need to know about submitting a private criminal case

Anyone can submit a criminal case with the court, even if there is not a police report. These are called private criminal complaints. Most private criminal complaints involve disagreements between family members or neighbors. Common examples include assault, bad checks, and theft.

To submit a private criminal case, go to the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Private Criminal Complaint Unit.

1425 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102

For more information, please call 215-686-9848.

Call 215-686-7000 for general court information.


Business Hours

  • Monday-Friday: 8am - 5pm
  • Saturday: Closed
  • Sunday: Closed

Civil Division Information